Thursday, July 25, 2013

Deseret News Classic 10K

Here is a little about my first 10K race!  I ran the SLC Deseret News Classic.  In Utah, the 24th of July is a celebrated holiday.  It's Pioneer Day where we celebrate the Mormon pioneers settling the Salt Lake Valley.  There is a big parade in downtown Salt Lake, and this race is just the beginning of the celebration!  We started up at the University of Utah, and ran a beautiful course down Foothill drive, South Temple, and ended on the Parade route.  

 I was pretty nervous, because I haven't run in almost 2 weeks.  My foot was really sore, and I didn't want to mess it up even worse before the race.  Luckily, I had no issues with it during the race.  However, I did confuse myself on mileage and thought I was supposed to be done earlier than I was.  I turned off my apps and so I had nothing telling me how many miles I had gone.  I was looking at the signs for the 5K that said "5K: 1 mile" and for some reason, I thought it meant there was 1 mile left!  We end at the same finish line, so I was really excited that I had only 1 mile left, and I still had so much energy!  I booked it for about a half mile and still couldn't see any finish line!  Suddenly, I realized my mistake and that I still had over 2 miles left.  I slowed down, but I was really tired.  I wanted to walk, but didn't.  I made it to the end- and even shaved 4 minutes off my fastest 10K training time.  So I was happy about it.

One thing I thought was pretty cool was at the exact moment I was crossing the finish line, they announced that the first place runner for the Half Marathon was also crossing the finish line.  They announced his name, and it was a guy I went to high school with.  Crazy fast runners!

They had drinks, fruit, Creamies, and french toast at the finish line.  I waited for about an hour for Josh to finish his half, and hopefully he will have his post about it soon.  We didn't stay for the parade, because we had to head back to my parents house to pick up the kids.  But we had a fun day celebrating!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go! I'm debating on whether or not to even carry my GPS for my race this weekend, but like you, I'll probably get confused at some point! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's annoying you misjudged the mileage, but awesome you shaved time off your training PR! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I would love to run more! I am so glad I came across your blog. Stop by my blog sometime I would love your input!

    LilRedRunner

    ReplyDelete