Thursday, July 4, 2013

Kaysville Rotary 10k


This morning I ran in the Kaysville Rotary 4th of July 10k.  I had two goals for this race, finish my first 5k in under 25 minutes and complete the full race in under 55.  I manged to squeak in on both goals.  I hit the 3.1 mile mark at 24:48 and finished the race in 54:17.

I've never been much of a distance runner.  I'm wired more for speed than miles and miles of plugging along.  I know I'll never be competitive at these distances, but that's the great thing about running.  You can always compete with yourself.  This race was a challenge for me.  Although the weather had cooled down a bit, it was very humid because of the rain that had been falling all night.  It made it pretty tough to breathe and cool off since my sweat wouldn't evaporate.

This race felt like a moral victory.  Even though I felt pretty horrible the whole time I was running I managed to beat my goals even though it took quite a kick at the end of the race since I slowed down quite a bit during mile 5.  This was a good prep run, but I'm excited for the half marathon coming up on the 24th.

No comments:

Post a Comment